Thread: I think I'm moving to Iowa

I think I'm moving to Iowa

Should know for sure within the next week or so, but it looks like I'm moving to the Quad Cities area. Coming from about 15 years in WA, and grew up in CA. Any indoor ranges in the area? Here in WA, I haven't been able to stretch the legs on my rifles much....too many trees. I mostly have pistols. Anyhow, I hope to meet some folks interested in the shooting sports in the area. Any suggestions where to go to get smart on Iowa CPL/CWP or whatever you call it (where you can/can't carry)? I assume Illinois carry is a no go?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joao01 View Post
    Should know for sure within the next week or so, but it looks like I'm moving to the Quad Cities area. Coming from about 15 years in WA, and grew up in CA. Any indoor ranges in the area? Here in WA, I haven't been able to stretch the legs on my rifles much....too many trees. I mostly have pistols. Anyhow, I hope to meet some folks interested in the shooting sports in the area. Any suggestions where to go to get smart on Iowa CPL/CWP or whatever you call it (where you can/can't carry)? I assume Illinois carry is a no go?
    I would suggest moving to the Iowa side of QC, easier and less costly to get a permit, lower taxes, etc. Closest Iowa indoor range is Midwest shooting in Hiawatha I believe. There are several long rifle ranges in Iowa, but many find a friend or relative that owns farm ground to shoot on. Iowa is a Permit to Carry or PTC and you can take classes just about anywhere. If you are former military then your DD214 will work. The pro gun group in Iowa that is getting things done is the Iowa Firearms Coalition. www.iowafc.org
    "The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Davenport Guns has a decent indoor pistol range. I lived in Davenport for a couple years and loved it. IL carry is definitely a no-go unless you pay an exorbitant fee and spend sixteen hours in a classroom for a non-resident IL permit; they do not honor permits from any other states. Once I moved to Davenport from Chicago, I found very little reason to ever cross back over the river.

It's a great area. If you end up moving, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Feel free to hit me up if you have any more specific questions. I'm also only an hour or so west of there now and am in the area semi-frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
    Davenport Guns has a decent indoor pistol range. I lived in Davenport for a couple years and loved it. IL carry is definitely a no-go unless you pay an exorbitant fee and spend sixteen hours in a classroom for a non-resident IL permit; they do not honor permits from any other states. Once I moved to Davenport from Chicago, I found very little reason to ever cross back over the river.

It's a great area. If you end up moving, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Feel free to hit me up if you have any more specific questions. I'm also only an hour or so west of there now and am in the area semi-frequently.
    Thanks for the Offer. I hope to know any day now.